15 Advisable Actions
- It is advisable to comb your hair often.
- It is advisable to rub your face often.
- It is advisable to move your eyeballs often.
- It is advisable to rap on your ears(occiput) often.
- It is advisable to click your teeth often.
- It is advisable to swallow your saliva often.
- It is advisable to warm your back often.
- It is advisable to protect your chest often.
- It is advisable to massage your abdomen often.
- It is advisable to contract your anus(muscular contraction) often.
- It is advisable to rub your soles often.
- It is advisable to shake your limbs often.
- It is advisable to touch your palate with your tongue often.
- It is advisable to keep your skin dry often.
- It is advisable to be silent when you relieve yourself.
Various Impairments & Injuries
- Reading for too long brings impairment of blood.
- Sleeping for too long brings impairment of Qi.
- Sitting for too long brings impairment of flesh.
- Standing for too long brings impairment of bone.
- Walking for too long brings impairment of tendons.
- Thinking for too long brings impairment of spleen.
- Too much anger brings impairment of liver.
- Too much worry brings impairment of heart.
- Too much sorrow brings impairment of lung.
- Too much horror brings impairment of kidney.
- Too much food brings impairment of stomach.
- Too much exertion brings impairment of diaphragm.
- Being injured by wind in spring usually causes diarrhea in summer.
- Being injured by heat in summer usually causes malaria in autumn.
- Being injured by dankness in autumn usually causes a cough in winter.
- Being injured by cold in winter usually causes seasonal febrile disease in spring.
- Being full and drunk to copulate causes exhaustion of spirit and strength.
- Speaking during midnight’s sleep causes much loss of Qi.
- Sitting(or sleeping) in wet places causes numbness,arthralgia or leprosy.
- Braving wind and rain causes somatic heaviness and pain.
- Overeating causes dysentery and abscess.
- Do not take food after your anger.
- Do not be angry after your meal.
- Do not take cold food or drink after being drunk.
- Do not sleep immediately after being sated with food.
Energy Flow(Qi) Cultivation Methods
In the midnight, a little while of still and quiet sitting(without thinking) is substantial to generate Qi in your whole body.
Whenever you are free, stir your tongue in the mouth, touch your palate with your tongue, wait for the saliva to be produced, gargle with the saliva in the mouth, gulp the saliva down with a gurgling sound, meanwhile quickly draw in a breath of fresh air through your nose and mentally direct(envision,as if you see) the fresh air accompanying the saliva(regarded as an energy flow) to flow down to “Dantian”(the point 2” below the navel inside the underbelly, hold on for a little while. Now slightly contract up your anus, mentally direct the energy flow to go backwards to “Weilu” , then to flow upwards through “Jiaji” and “Yuzhen”, and finally to arrive at “Niwan”. Now this is a completed circle. So go round and begin again.
Frequently doing this exercise will make you healthy, strong and energetic. And you will have a sensation of the energy flow flowing in your body.
Translated by W. Zhiliang from some Chinese Traditional Medicine books published in the Qing Dynasty.